This recipe is taken from Mike Gnatkowski’s book, Wild Game Simple. Check it out – great recipes and good information about cooking and dressing wild game. Order from the link provided.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 2 pounds fresh fish fillets, rockfish or halibut is delicious
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons shallots (chopped)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pound cooked crab meat
- 2 cups Provolone cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Sautè the perch fillets until firm or about 5 minutes. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add the chicken broth and increase the temperature to high. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Mix in the shallots, crabmeat, mushrooms and wine. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Arrange the perch in a shallow baking dish. Pour the sauce over the fillets and cover with cheese. Bake in the preheated over for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.